Getting into a school like Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and making your way through the difficult course-load is tough. As one of the proud students of RPI, you have come to find that there are certain things that those who go elsewhere just won’t ever get.
20. No, you don’t go to RIT/WPI/MIT. Going home for the holidays, every relative is going to ask how school’s going up at RIT… or WPI… or MIT. For some reason, no one can ever actually get that you go to RPI.
19. The Ratio. This one’s actually gotten better in recent years, but it still stands that RPI’s male to female ratio is a wonderful 65/35. It’s slightly offset by Troy’s other college, Russell Sage College, which is basically all girls.
18. Mascot? RPI’s had numerous mascots over the years, from the Engineers, to Puckman, to the Bachelors, and the Redhawks, it’s hard to keep them straight.
17. Shuttle Problems. RPI’s shuttle service can be really annoying. Even though there’s an app that lets you track their locations, you almost always end up watching it leave the stop and have to wait 15 minutes for the next one.
16. Frat Parties or No Parties. Being an engineering school means you have limited options for parties.. Luckily there are around 30 fraternities at RPI, most of which have nice houses and throw great parties. So where’re you going on Friday night? ZOO?, RSE?, Phi Tau?
15. Archies are a Myth. If you become an Architecture Major at RPI, you’re basically condemning yourself to a life of no sleep, and indentured servitude. The Greene Building (the architecture building), is your second home, and your friends will always be surprised when you text your group saying you’re actually free for once.
14. Psychology Classes. RPI’s classes are NOT easy. However, the lower level psychs are often GPA boosters for all the poor engineering and science students, who only dream of getting As in their regular classes.
13. Commons. Unless there’s a special event, the food there is not really any good. Mystery meat and Chinese food is always on the menu. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, try the pizza bagels, if you’re lucky you’ll get a cinnamon raisin bagel…
12. The Approach. The bane of any students who live in downtown, the Approach is a huge staircase that leads up Troy’s big hill to RPI’s campus. Composed of an ungodly amount of stairs, if you’re not winded and sweating by the time you’re done lugging your heavy science books to the top, you’re inhuman.
11. Humans Vs. Zombies. It’s basically a giant game of tag with a Walking Dead theme. The random guys running around with guns and bandanas on their arms aren’t gang members (unless you’re in South Troy), they’re humans who’re fighting their zombie counterparts. If you’re lucky, one of them will disrupt your class, radio-in-hand, yelling some gibberish about a horde by the Sage building.