Spring recruitment is upon us and proof of why we love our sorority smother our Facebook walls. Pictures of #WhyAXiD and comments of why Alpha Xi Delta is such an amaXing sorority cover my sisters’ Facebook and Twitter. I was going through my list of why I love Alpha Xi Delta, and it reminded me of something when I was a child. When my mother and I would go shopping, I would point out everything I wanted. I would point out over half the store and my mother would just shake her head and tell me “the list would be shorter if you pointed things you didn’t like.” Of course I thought that was just silly as a kid. Why would I point out things I don’t like? That would be such a waste of time. Nostalgic as I am about the 90’s, little me did not understand anything about how amazing the Backstreet Boys truly are or that I truly do love too many things… my empty bank account is proof. But my mother did have a point (don’t enjoy that comment too much mom), there are too many reasons that I love AXiD, so I made my shorter list of reasons not to go Alpha Xi Delta:
1. Do not go Alpha Xi Delta if you do not have school spirit and cannot support your sisters. Having school spirit does not mean wearing your school colors every day or painting your nails obnoxious colors, it means getting involved and helping better the school. It also means supporting your sporty sisters, your theater sisters, and your nerdy sisters. Chemistry club having a movie in the planetarium can be fun with a bunch of your best friends with you.
2. Do not go Alpha Xi Delta if you do not like building a sisterhood or a friendship that will last a lifetime. Each of my sisters are truly amaXing in their own way and I would not trade a single one of them. They are all so talented and I admire and look up to each individual woman. How many organizations can you just walk into and say that you admire and look up to every single person? Well if you find one, call me up because I want to work for them. Pillow fights are the only fights I ever get in with my sisters. (Other than the time when I wanted to watch Lion King and I got outvoted for Frozen.)
3. Do not go Alpha Xi Delta if you do not love giving back to the community. My sisters are some of the most caring people I have ever met and Autism Speaks is proof of this love. Light It Up Blue has not only struck the nation, but the world. You’ve heard of the Eiffel Tower, right? Well, once a year they “light it up blue” to bring awareness to Autism Speaks. The Leaning Tower of Pisa? Well, I hear it is a pretty cool place to visit you should check it out (especially when it is lit up blue).
4. Do not go Alpha Xi Delta if you do not care about education. If late sleepovers, laughing for too many hours, and running frantically getting ready for formal is not exciting, then you haven’t done it enough. If you came to school just to be social and not focus on academics, then AXiD is not for you.
5. Do not go Alpha Xi Delta if you do not want to find your potential and grow into a well-rounded woman. Success is not measured by money, or popularity; success is measured by how many hearts you touch, the laughter, the joys, and knowing that you did something to make the world a little bit better. Success is waking up in the morning and knowing that you helped someone and you have touched someone’s heart. To leave your footprint in the sand and leave no regrets that you have done something great. I have witnessed it time and time again an outstanding Alpha Xi Delta woman doing something to reach a greater goal. What is that goal? To make this world a little better, one day at a time and to have every woman see her potential.
So just like my mother said, the list is shorter to point out everything I don’t like about Alpha Xi Delta because that list would be zip. This is Why I went AXiD.